Click for fun fabrics and trimmings.........

Saturday 30 January 2010

string patches

Friday found me with 2 and a half child free hours. I had prepared for them all week. I made sure I had strips of fabric and I cut squares out of lining fabric.
The sewing machine was dusted off after more than a months rest and brought downstairs.
I set myself up a little ironing station on the dining table next to my machine (saves moving you see!!), remembering why I ended up with new oilcloth in the first place I made sure it was well padded.
I'm not a tidy worker...
And I found them surprisingly easy. You see I am very untrusting! When somebody tells me something is very easy I tend to think - for you maybe!!! But it really was simple.
(thats not to say that a few weren't messed up......)
Once all the strips are sewn on - pre trimming - I have to say I wasn't overly impressed, as I don't have great vision! But once trimmed...

I began to be impressed!
I made extra work for myself by roughly trimming down with scissors first, Then using the cutting mat and rotary..and a new to me metal ruler....I made them all the same size - 6 inch squares .....

Like I said I know I didn't need to trim with scissors first but as I don't have a square template and I needed to see the grid on my cutting board, I found this an easier way of doing it. I'm not very confident with my rotary cutter and mat!!!
It was at this stage that I found a few that hadn't made the grade, I had not used long enough strips in a couple of places and there were gaps and joins......not the end of the world....meet the 5 1/2 inch squares :D
I am very pleased with how they have turned out. Even with the wonkyness of the strips in places (bottom right green paisley for starters!!!). Such a simple process, yet very very effective. Some of my favourites.....

Obviously now I have 2 different sized squares then I will need to find 2 different projects, and as I'm hoping that in round 2 I won't make mistakes, then hopefully all future squares will be 6 inches. The smaller squares I may turn into a bag front or something.....

16 comments:

Jen Walshaw said...

Lovely, just perfect, you could always make a cushion too

Floss said...

They look wonderful, and your advice is ever so useful, as I'm sure I'm going to be similarly uncertain when I get started, too.

VintageVicki said...

I love the look of all the string patches appearing in blogland.

Its something I think I'll try when I next want to learn something new - still trying to get to grips with the knitting.

Vicki xx

MelMel said...

Looking lovely...such a cute wway to do patchwork!xx

Tina said...

The squares are looking lovely! It will look wonderful once you have them all stitched together!
xx

mitmot said...

They look fab, but be careful they are addictive!! - definatly recommend the patchwork template things, makes life much easier

Lalabibaby @ Dreaming of The Simple Life said...

Lovely strings .... I agree with Mitmot this is totally addictive ... I've been cutting away again this afternoon too x

Sarah - Red Gingham said...

You are doing a great job! I can't believe how many you got done. Maybe I should have made wider strips. Oh well, maybe next project. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant job there Dolly D! I hope to get started on some soon (thanks to MitMot)

Shabby Chick said...

They look brilliant to me! Is there a tutorial somewhere for them? I've only just dared try crazy patchwork though and that is just so 2009 in blogging world ;)

mel xxx

Sarah said...

They look great, and such a fab way of using up fabric. I can't wait to get started, and might follow your way - I'm not great with a rotary cutter!
x

Rachel said...

Ooh Claire, they look gorgeous! I've not tried making string blocks, but I think I will have to put that on my to-do list! For another cushion cover perhaps? Can't wait to see what you turn them into.
Rachel x

JuanitaTortilla said...

If you hadn't pointed it out, I wouldn't even have seen any wonkiness!

Shsjndkdns said...

Gorgeous gorgeous! there are some very pretty fabrics, I like those yellow ones in the last photo.
x

GardenOfDaisies said...

These look like fun! I think I'd like to try a string quilt!

driftwood said...

oooh gorgeous, love the hexagons and the strings, they look fantastic xx